How do I restore my desktop icon positions?
- In your desktop, right-click on an open area.
- Select Personalize, click Themes on the left menu.
- Scroll down and click ‘Desktop icon settings’ under the Related Settings.
- Remove the checkmark on Allow themes to change desktop icons, then click Apply & OK.
- Arrange your icons where you want them to be.
Where are all my desktop icons?
Your desktop icons may be hidden. To view them, right-click the desktop, select View, and then select Show desktop icons. To add icons to your desktop such as This PC, Recycle Bin and more: Select the Start button, and then select Settings > Personalization > Themes.
How do I reset my Windows icons?
To reset a desktop icon to default, start by selecting it. Then, click or tap the Restore Default button and press OK or Apply to save your changes.
How do I adjust the icons on my desktop?
Right-click the icon and click Properties. Click the Shortcut tab (if one is available), and then click Change Icon. Click the icon that you want to use from the list, click OK, and then click OK.
Why do my Microsoft icons look different?
This issue occurs because the icon cache is not updated correctly.
Why have all my desktop icons changed?
1. Some programs (such as computer games in particular) change the screen resolution when you run them. When it happens, Windows automatically re-arranges the desktop icons to fit the new screen size. When you exit the game, the screen resolution may change back, but the icons have already been re-arranged.
How to save and restore desktop icons on Windows 32-bit computers?
Microsoft’s layout.dll shell extension (from the Microsoft Windows NT Resource Kit tools) can save and restore desktop icons position on Windows 32-bit computers. The Layout.dll was originally written for Windows NT/2000.
Where are the saved desktop icon settings stored?
By default, the saved desktop icon settings are stored in a file named DesktopOK.ini in the following location. Alternately, you can also export the desktop icon configuration to a .dok file via the DesktopOK menu option. There are additional settings available under the Options tab, like “auto-save” at pre-defined intervals and so on.
How to restore desktop icon layout in Windows 10?
Next, you’ll need to double-click on the Layout.reg file, which will add the contents to the registry. Now when you right-click on the Computer entry in the start menu, you’ll see two new items for “Save Desktop Icon Layout” and “Restore Desktop Icon Layout”.
How do I remove the desktop icon layout from the registry?
When you click Save Desktop Icon Layout, the Desktop icon positions are saved to a binary registry value, and you see the following message box: To uninstall the layout.dll shell extension, right-click the file uninstall.reg (available in layout.zip) and choose Merge.