How old do you have to be to volunteer at the SPCA in Virginia?
General Information. Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older to work independently with dogs, and 14 years of age or older to work independently with cats. Volunteers below these ages may work with these animals if volunteering with a parent or guardian over the age of 18.
How old do you have to be to volunteer at the SPCA Virginia Beach?
We invite you to apply for our Adult Volunteer Program if you are: 18 years of age and out of high school. Any interested parties still in high school must participate in our Junior Volunteer Program. Able to commit to 3 hours every month.
Can you get your dog back from the SPCA?
Please contact the SPCA first This is to allow the legal owner time to claim their pet back. If the dog or cat is not claimed by the owner, it is then put up for adoption, subject to certain conditions. It is then vaccinated and de-wormed and after another 14 days it is put up for adoption.
What can you do at the SPCA?
We provide a safe haven for sick, injured, abandoned and abused animals. We give them love, care and a roof over their heads until we can find them a new forever home. SPCA is the only charity with the legal powers to help animals in need and bring animal offenders to justice.
What are the advantages of volunteering?
Benefits of volunteering
- Gain confidence. Volunteering can help you gain confidence by giving you the chance to try something new and build a real sense of achievement.
- Make a difference.
- Meet people.
- Be part of a community.
- Learn new skills.
- Take on a challenge.
- Have fun!
Where do volunteers work?
Good Places to Volunteer Your Time
- Your Local Public Library.
- Your Local Parks & Recreation Department.
- Your Local Community Center.
- Local Faith Organizations.
- Nearby State & National Parks.
- Animal Shelters & Adoption Centers.
- Food Banks & Homeless Shelters.
- Disaster Relief Organizations.