What are the American Red Cross water competency sequence swim test steps?
This sequence of critical water safety skills, also known as “water competency,” are the ability to:
- Step or jump into the water over your head.
- Return to the surface and float or tread water for one minute.
- Turn around in a full circle and find an exit.
- Swim 25 yards to the exit.
- Exit from the water.
What are the three phases of swimming lessons?
The nationwide lessons, referred to as Stages, features three phases – Swim Starters, Swim Basics and Swim Strokes, there are multiple stages within each based upon the swimmer’s age and ability.
What is the first basic step in learning how do you swim?
Step 1: Feel the Water The first step to learning swimming is to be comfortable in the water. I call it “Build the Water Confidence Stage”. Just walk to and fro in shallow water, for Kids it’s recommended to have this in the baby pool near the wall side. This will help to get a feel of water.
What is the ratio for swimming lessons?
STA recommend a maximum ratio of 6 learners to 1 swimming teacher. This recommendation must coincide with a risk assessment where the pool size, depth, shape and leaners age, ability and needs are taken into consideration as the ratio may need to be reduced to ensure safety and effective teaching.
How do you plan a swimming lesson?
At it’s most basic form, a swimming lesson plan should contain:
- Lesson objective introduction/recap of the previous lesson.
- Swimming skill development, including games, activities and teacher demonstration.
- Lesson close/assessment.
- The time duration of each segment.
What are the five basic skills in swimming?
5 Swimming Skills Every Child Should Know
- Getting in and out of the pool safely.
- Putting his or her face into the water and controlling breathing.
- Floating on his or her back.
- Swimming with forward motion.
- Treading water.
- Talk With The Experts About Your Child’s Swim Lessons.
What are the safety rules for swimmers?
- Always ensure that there is adult supervision when children are swimming.
- Never leave a child alone in or near the water.
- Never let children swim alone.
- Make sure children swim in supervised or designated areas.
- Never let a child swim during a storm or when there is lightening.
What is the maximum instructor to pupil ratio for swimming lessons?
Both STA and ASA have a maximum teaching ratio of 1 swimming teacher to 6 learners when teaching in the water. This is the maximum teaching ratio, a ratio can be reduced depending on pool facilities, pool depth, age of the learners etc however a maximum ratio should not be increased.
What to teach at swimming lessons?
Initially, you can teach them to start from standing and push off the pool floor with their feet and reach for the poolside. You can then teach them to push away from the side and glide to a partner who can catch them. As confidence improves, learners can progress to pushing, gliding and standing up on their own.
What is the most important rule for safe swimming?
Never Swim Alone: The first and most important rule for water safety. Use the buddy system—always. If swimming with small children, ensure they are always within arm’s reach.